Bluffton Personal Injury Attorneys
Experienced and Professional Legal Support
When you get seriously injured in an accident, the last thing you need to be worried about is how you will pay for your medical expenses or how you will financially manage if you need to miss work. If your injuries were the result of another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation that can help cover these and other costs.
Our Bluffton personal injury lawyers at Horton & Goldman, LLC have over 25 years of combined legal experience and have handled hundreds of cases. When you first meet with our team, we will review the facts of your case and help you understand what types of compensation you may be entitled to. We are intimately familiar with how South Carolina adjudicates personal injury claims are committed to helping you recover as much as possible.
Our Personal Injury Services
Our accomplished legal team can assist you with a variety of personal injury cases. It is important that you seek legal protection as soon as possible following an accident to ensure that you avoid mistakes that can limit your ability to collect compensation.
Our Bluffton personal injury attorneys can assist you with cases involving:
- Car Accidents. An upsetting number of motorists are not physically or mentally fit to drive, while others drive while under the influence, leading to numerous avoidable accidents. We can help you recover compensation for physical injuries and property damage if a negligent driver causes an accident.
- Dog Bites. Dog owners can be held liable if their animals bite or attack another party unprovoked. If you were on public property or private property with permission and suffered from a dog attack, you are likely entitled to compensation.
- Slip and Fall Incidents. Residential and commercial property owners are legally required to keep their spaces free of hazardous conditions. If you slip and fall due to a hazard that was not sufficiently marked or addressed, you can be compensated for your injuries.
- Wrongful Death. In especially severe instances, serious injuries can result in death. If someone’s untimely passing is the direct result of another party’s negligence, the deceased’s immediate loved ones can recover compensation to help ease the burden of their loss.
How Personal Injury Cases Are Decided in South Carolina
Most personal injury cases in South Carolina have a statute of limitations of 3 years. This means that you have 3 years from the date the incident took place to file a personal injury lawsuit with the appropriate court. In cases involving wrongful death, the deceased’s personal representative has 3 years from the date of passing to file a suit.
Many personal injury cases will be decided under comparative negligence rules. This means that the court and jury will evaluate each party’s level of responsibility in causing the accident. If you are found to have been less than 51% at fault for the accident, you can be awarded compensation for your injuries. However, your total compensation will be reduced by the amount that you were found to be at fault. If you are seeking $30,000 and are assigned 10% of the blame, for example, you can only be awarded $27,000.
Types of Compensation Available in Personal Injury Claims
Personal injury claims allow victims of negligence to recover damages for costs associated with their injuries. This can include direct costs, like compensation for medical care needed to treat the injuries, and indirect costs, like future physical pain and suffering caused by the injuries.
Our team at Horton & Goodman, LLC can help you obtain compensation for:
- Medical expenses
- Property damage
- Lost or missed wages
- Physical or emotional suffering
- Punitive damages